1. Research on the knowledge, attitude and practice in different Communities
as relate to causation, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of malaria.
2. Susceptibility of the parasites to anti-malarial drugs.
3. Pharmacokinetics of antimalarial drugs
4. Risk factors in pathogenensis and treatment of severe complicated
5. Molecular biology of the Malaria parasite and vector.
6. Clinical Evaluation of malaria vaccines when they become available online
7. Sicher online bestellen in Deutschland.
1. Socio-Cultural studies on drug availability, distribution and
2. Effect of treatment on transmission and prevalence rate of the
1. Rapid epidemiological diagnosis and mapping
2. KAP studies with respect to causation, diagnosis, effect, prevention
3. Drug distribution studies and affordability, acceptability and
sustainability of current control programme.
1. lsolation and characterisation of new rural and bacterial agents
causing diarrhoea in Nigeria.
2. Rapid aetiological strain characterisation in epidemics as an
aid to appropriate treatment.
1. Definition of the epidemiological characteristics, the risk factors,
the strain of mycobacteria responsible and the drug sensitivity
1 The Institute, being one of the leading centres for HIV research
in Nigeria, is undertaking prevalence studies in different population
groups and intends to extend it towards strain typing, interaction
with other diseases and factors determining rate of evolution of
the infection to frank AIDS.
1. The thrust is in the area of pre-natal diagnosis of sickle cell
disease as a means of genetic counselling which is a new area of
research in Sickle-Cell disease.
2. Molecular and Genetic Studies on other haemoglobinopathies e.g.
G-6-PD deficiency and Thalassaemia will also be tagged on to the
Sickle-Cell disease work. The influence of genetic heterogeneity
on the clinical course of sickle-cell anaemia will be explored.
The thrust of nutrition research in the Institute is on cereal weaning
foods with improved nutritional qualities and with potentials for
use in diarrhoea control.
Special Childhood Communicable Diseases
Effectiveness of the vaccines used in the NPI programme will be
investigated by way of studies on seroconversion rates.
1. Radioimmunoassay work
2. Determination of immunoglobulin subclasses and their normal ranges
Second Level Priorities
The studies on genetic variation among local strains of P. Falciparum,
isolation of B. thuringiensis lethal to mosquito larvae, molecular
epidemiology and genetic studies on antibiotic resistance of local
pathogenic bacteria and on food fermenting microorganisms use these
Research to determine factors which affect control of leprosy through
the application of multiple drug therapy programmes.
Guinea Worm Disease
The Institute is to initiate a monitoring and surveillance programme
in a few previously endemic localities to provide warning signals
to the Government if factors that can lead to resurgence are discovered.
To study the risk factors for cancers common in Nigeria.